Temporomandibular disorders (TMD) is a common yet painful condition that affects up to 15 percent of adults. In most cases, TMD reveals itself in frequent and severe jaw pain or dysfunction, popping jaw, ear pain, facial pain, and other symptoms. At Nicholas P. Kondon, DMD, our prosthodontist is pleased to offer treatment to help those with TMD eliminate their discomfort.
While Dr. Nicholas Kondon will provide a customized treatment for your condition, there are some additional habits you can add to your daily life that will help improve your treatment results and increase your quality of life:
– Apply a heat pack or hot water bottle to the area to reduce pain.
– Wrap up an ice pack and place it over the jaw joint to reduce inflammation. Keep the ice pack on for 10 to 15 minutes at a time.
– Eat softer foods to avoid overstressing your jaw.
– Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, as needed.
– Do regular jaw exercises that focus on slowly moving your jaw forwards and backwards, and up and down.
– Try sleeping on your side.
– Keep your lips together and your teeth apart.
-Support your chin while yawning to prevent your jaw from opening too wide or becoming locked.
If you have TMD, our prosthodontist can help you know what you can do during the day to ease your discomfort. When coupled with professional TMD treatment, these techniques can help improve your jaw functionality and overall quality of life. Call our practice today at 978.369.9090 to learn more about our TMD treatments in Concord, Massachusetts.